Leaf Owners Test Batteries

On MyNissanLeaf, some Phoenix area owners are tired of waiting for satisfaction from Nissan and are considering a lawsuit over their rapid capacity loss.

I did decide to persue to join a class action lawsuit with emphasis (from me) on battery replacment with ZERO cost. While I hate feeding the sharks (lawyers). I feel this would make fixing the problem faster for all of us with this problem.

The attorney’s are asking me if I remember anyone telling me the warranty only covered the power output instead of capacity.

If my memory serves me correctly, I was clearly under the impression that the 8yr / 100,000 mile warranty gauranteed that it would cover capacity as well.
Is that the impression most of you got?

I have put over 25k miles on my Leaf now. I dont want to go back to gas!

Commenters are posting advice from LexisNexis. A law firm has started a class action website for the litigiously-inclined. Yet other commenters have noted that Nissan is removing references to battery life expectation, as shown in this Nissan video, from their online literature. In response to stonewalling by Nissan, a Leaf owner named Tony Williams is leading an effort to test the actual remaining range of Leafs with dashboard indications of reduced capacity.

September 4, 2012- Andy Palmer, executive vice president of Nissan dismissed recent reports of battery problems in hot weather for the LEAF. He was reported by an Australian source as saying, “We don’t have a battery problem.” Palmer says the problem is a faulty battery level display.

September 15, 2012- In response to Andy Palmer’s comments, some “hot weather” LEAF’s, including Scott Yarosh’s LEAF (his car currently has the most displayed battery capacity loss with 4 of 12 missing battery capacity “bars” from the car’s dash mounted instrument) will be tested to determine if in fact the cars can physically drive as far now as they did when new with a “faulty battery level display”, or if this is merely another attempt by Nissan execs to deflect attention from the serious battery issues in hot ambient temperatures that were predicted by many experts well before Nissan manufactured the car. In 2009, the president of Tesla Motors (electric vehicle manufacturer) called Nissan’s then proposed LEAF battery “primitive” and he thought that if those batteries failed (with over 84 reported on this forum as of 11 Sept 2012) that it might negatively affect the entire electric vehicle movement.

Could it be that all this battery degradation is simply a result of battery abuse? Commenter Stoaty sez no way:

My battery capacity is now down 9-10% by Gid count. 100% charge = 253, 80% charge = 212. This is in spite of:

–In my 15 months of Leaf ownership I have only charged to 100% about 10 times.
–Never QC (I can’t since I have an SV) [QC = quickcharge]
–My Leaf has spent approximately 92% of its life at 5 bars, the other 8% at 6 bars, never saw 7 bars
–I drive like an old lady to get best possible miles/kwh = minimum stress on the battery
–Latest Gid counts were measured at 5 temperature bars
–A 100% charge had no effect to improve Gid count, have never seen any evidence that my battery is out of balance.

I have never seen any evidence of Gid count being temperature dependent in my leaf in my environment.

It would not be possible to treat a Leaf more gently than I have treated mine. I think this battery capacity loss problem is going to turn out badly for Nissan unless they can pull a rabbit out of the hat.

Advertisements

Tags: , , ,

%d bloggers like this: